Doing the Hard Things, Round Two

One Room Challenge - Week Four

Dust, dust, dust!


I had two messy projects going at the same time and, as you can see, both created a fair amount of dust.


Refinishing the complete bedroom set wasn't something I really wanted to do, but as I mentioned in this previous ORC post, I just couldn't bring myself to get rid of it yet. My plan was to eliminate a few pieces, placing them in the walk-in closet or elsewhere. However, I knew that I would be refinishing all of the set so it would still match, should it all be back together at some point. This created so. much. more. work. And a dilemma, which you'll learn about later.

The process went a little like this:


~ sand

~ fill

~ sand

~ fill

~ sand

~ prime

~ sand

~ prime

~ sand

~ paint

~ sand

~ paint

Painted with Fine Paints of Europe Hollandlac high gloss in Farrow & Ball's Lulworth Blue

And that was just for the bedroom set. Wall moulding was cut on the miter saw in our basement workshop, two flights down. All the pieces were cut, then brought up two flights to the guest room for installation. Once on the wall, the moulding was filled with wood filler, sanded, and given two coats of paint the same color and finish as the wall - Benjamin Moore China White mixed by Sherwin-Williams in Cashmere Low Lustre.

I ran out of moulding with one wall left. Typically, a quick trip to Home Depot would have replenished the stock and I'd be off and running again. But COVID. It took more than two weeks to get the additional moulding delivered! I decided to make good use of this time and proceed with priming and painting the furniture, instead of waiting until all the molding was up (which would have been safer, with less chance of the paint getting nicked before fully curing).